Sunday, July 27, 2008

Speed Limits!

I drove the speed limit this morning. All the way (minus exit ramps which seem a little ridiculous to slow down to 30-40mph and then reaccelerate to the same speed limit you were driving before).

60 was easy (I have been driving 60-65mph since my last speeding ticket in February...). 55 was an easy stretch from that. However, dropping all the way down to 50 when I-70 enters downtown Indy was tough. I was getting passed left and right and tailgated like crazy even at 4AM on a Sunday (in the slow lane no less).

In the end my car's fancy "how many miles until you need to freak out and get gas" gauge rose from 411 at the beginning of my trip to 445 at the end (with driving a total of ~25 miles in between). I think that qualifies as more efficient. I am going to continue doing this whenever possible but I am not sure if it can be done safely when I am the only car doing it during rush hour and the "pack" is doing 70mph.

It was amazing how less stressful the drive was. It did take an extra 11 minutes but heard "Highway to Hell" and some Styx back to back so all was fine....

No comments: